Saturday, February 10, 2007

Wesa Ticked!!

Saturday morning, not much going on. So I turned on the tube, and found a re-run of Return of the Jedi on one of the cable channels.

As I watched, I saw details that I hadn't noticed my first six hundred times through. Kind of like spotting a second nose on my wife after so many years of being married to her.

Most extreme: at the end of the flick, after the rebels are victorious over the religious right (sorry, couldn't help myself there!), we see scenes of celebration taking place in the cities of the second trilogy, cities which we had not seen in any of the original episodes. On the planet Naboo, Gungans are shouting "Wesa free!" as breakfast rises in the back of my throat.

And if that weren't much, much more than enough, when the spirit of Anakin Skywalker shows up with those of Obi Wan and Yoda for a big old High Five, it's Hayden Christensen smirking at me, instead of the kindly old fella who looked like Uncle Fester under the Darth Vader suit.

Hayden Christensen.

Hayden Christensen.

What happened?

Blasphemy!


The only thing I liked about it is that, compared with Jar Jar Binks, the Ewoks were down right tolerable.

"Yub yub," I say.

That's Ewok for "Off with their heads!"...



Postscript: Chris Gould was kind enough to have cataloged and illustrated most, if not all, of the "improvements" to the original versions. You can find them here:
And on the topic of "all these changes and you couldn't erase Jar Jar Bloody Binks!!??",

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Won't you pathetic, whiny SW fanboys just get over yourselves already? If watching a movie makes your breakfast rise back to your mouth, then it's obviously you who's got something wrong in your head. You're ridiculous, and the same goes to your stupid fanboy posse. Geez.

ceej said...

Well, I thought the post was funny. I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I can certainly understand having a sick, nauseated feeling after finding a pivotal scene in one of your favorite movies has been retconned to suit the whims of Der Fuehrer.

And may I say that I think that "Blogoslovi" is an adorable blog name?

Anonymous said...

Those scenes have been added in new
version of star wars:return of the jedi in 2004, it's normal that you
haven't noticed cuz they weren't in
original film.