Friday, February 9, 2007

And NOW, a word from Fr. Paul!

Fr. Mark Doku was kind enough to send me a copy of Fr. Paul Lazor's warm and "Personal Memoir" of Fr. Alexander Schmemann, delivered as this year's Father Alexander Schmemann Memorial Lecture at St. Vladimir's Seminary on January 28.

Fr. Paul is most dear to me and Marta since he (her confessor) and Fr. Tom Hopko (mine) married us back in... never mind.

Fr. Alexander, well, his were the first books I read (along with Fr. Timothy/Bishop Kallistos Ware's), borrowed from the Wellesley College Library, in my search for the faith in and around 1979. And it was his mid-Lent visit to Holy Trinity Cathedral in Boston, two years later, which "sealed the deal" for me. I was chrismated just weeks after that, and enrolled at St. Vladimir's a year and a half later, just as Fr. Alexander's cancer was being diagnosed. Thank God, he was with us for the first half of my three years at St. Vlad's, and as the Dean, he blessed me and Marta to get married. My mom and my aunt were in the Chapel the following Pascha, Fr. Alexander's last, and there's a great story there -- but for another time.

For now, read what Fr. Paul wrote from his heart, and get to know two of the most noble priests I have or will ever know.

[READ IT]

No comments: